Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Garden Update for May
I am loving my garden this year.  I started much of it from seed, which I never do.  All of my lettuce, spinach and arugula is up and growing fast.  My snow peas and carrots are up and doing great.  I also planted tomatoes, swiss chard and lots of herbs from starts.  I put the herbs in large pots on my front porch.  I can hardly keep up with them all!  I got some blueberry bushes this past weekend and we are starting a little berry patch in the backyard.  I love having an edible landscape!
We are going to plant some green beans, cucumbers and basil and that will be it for the summer.
My friend Roxie and I have great canning plans for the season.  So far we are going to do strawberry/blackberry jam, applesauce, salsa, pickles and tomato sauce.  I can't wait to fill my garage shelves with yummy jars of home grown food.
Ella loves the garden (and her own little garden too!).  I actually caught her picking lettuce yesterday and munching away on it.  When I asked her what she was doing, she replied "Oh Mom, it's butter lettuce.  Yum!".  Okay, no argument here, butter lettuce it is!

No comments: